Home General

Help with Recursive Report

Hi all,
I am putting this in General as I am not sure the best place to put it. I am trying to create a custom report in an application that was built with Delphi and ReportBuilder but I am not the original developer nor am I a Delphi developer (yet).
The application has an Equipment table and a Work Orders Table. The Equipment has an AttachedTo field that allows you to specify the RecordNumber of another piece of equipment that it is attached to. The client has up to 5 levels of equipment so a "Parent" piece of equipment with children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren. The user will choose the Parent piece of Equipment and a date range when the run the report and we need to filter the work orders by these dates and provide total of costs for the time period. The program was written with a list of data fields and criteria that the user can choose before running the report. I am assuming these are being passed to the report as autosearch criteria.
I started first by creating my own SQL statement that used joined tables to get the 5 levels of data but then the user was unable to specify the equipment and date range because the autosearch wouldn't pass into my query.
Then I created multiple data sets (in what I believe is called DADE) and joined them and then tried to use sub reports to get the different levels but I could not get a sub report inside a sub report to work.

Any thoughts on how I should be doing this? Thanks for any help you can provide.