Home General

PDF's pretty large

Hi Nard!

In my opinion are the PDF's with the following option too large:

rptReport.PDFSettings.EmbedFontOptions := [efAllFonts]

Yes I tried with turning of 'efAllFonts' and use: 'efUseSubset' . But that is not the result I want. It looks good on my Windows laptop, but on Mac terrible.

Now I use GhostScript in my to shrink the PDF and 'your' file goes from 2Mb to 200Kb. But that needs to be called with ExecProcess(..) and needs more funky stuff. It works but I am not happy with that ( needs to be monitored etc etc)

Is it possible for you to the the same job internally as GhostScript? Or do you have other options to try? to make the PDF's lots smaller.....

Compression is 'clDefault' by the way.

Thanks in advance
Emile

PS: Delphi 10.4.2 - RB 20.04

Comments

• Hi Emile,

When embedding fonts, be sure you have both efAllFonts and efUseSubset in the EmbedFontOptions property set.

rptReport.PDFSettings.EmbedFontOptions := [efAllFonts, efUseSubset];

ReportBuilder uses the Microsoft library fontsub.dll to create a subset of a used font in the PDF file. In our experience it reduces the size of the full font by a factor of 10. The best way to reduce the size of the file when embedding fonts is to reduce the number of fonts used. Note that Arial and Arial,Bold are two separate fonts in PDF.

We are in the process of researching the possibility of moving all font processing internally to reduce the size of the subset fonts further for a future release. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Nico Cizik
    Digital Metaphors
    http://www.digital-metaphors.com
  • Thanks for the quick answer!!

The feature release will hopefully solve this ;-)

Stay healthy!