Home General

Underlay Following Section

I've been asked by a user if RB can do anything to mimic Crystal's Underlay Following Section feature as illustrated HERE. I played a little with the PrintPosition property and the Group header's BeforePrint (RAP) event but didn't get anywhere. Is it possible?

Comments

• Hi Paul,

Place the 'group header' DBText in the detail band along side the detail elements. Set DBText.SuppressRepeatedValues to True.

Best regards,

Nard Moseley
    Digital Metaphors
    www.digital-metaphors.com
  • Thanks Nard, that certainly gets around this one; but in regard to truly mimicking the "underlay following sections", for example if you wanted a graphic to be in the header but underlay subsequent details, is there anything clever that can be done with the PrintPostion? I had problems with infinite pages being generated when I had a play.
  • Hi Paul,

To print 'group header' elements along side detail elements, place the group header elements in the detail.

Here's a couple of common models:

1. Master/detail

Each master record contains 'group header' info. Place one or more master elements in the detail. Add a subreport, set ParentWidth False and size the subreport to print to the right of master elements.

2. Single DataSet grouped by repeating field(s).

Place 'group header' elements in the detail. For DBText set SuppressRepeatedValues True. For Image, implement the Image.OnPrint to set Visible for only the 1st detail of each group.

myImage.Visible := myReport.Detail.Count = 1;

You could also use a Region as a container for the group header elements and then set Region.Visible similar to above.

Best regards,

Nard Moseley
    Digital Metaphors
    www.digital-metaphors.com
  • Thanks Nard,

You and the team will be pleased to read this reply from my customer :D
    I've been playing with my new report ...and sub-reports allow me to do what I want. Now I think about it that approach is much more powerful than the old Crystal function, just requires a little more setup