Home General

Getting 600dpi out of a Zebra Label that runs a 300dpi driver

Client wants a postage-stamp sized AIAG-compliant 2D label chock full of already bar-coded info elsewhere on the label. I'm running the PDF417 barcode. They say they can't read it. Their solution: AT LEAST 600DPI in rather large garish red letters.

Seems like the equivalent of trying to pour a gallon of water into a quart jug with no spillage. I can't FIND a dpi setting on the printer driver on the Win10 workstation connected to a ZM400 300dpi ZPL printer. And I can't find a dpi setting from within the barcode within ReportBuilder. And, without either more size on the label (not happening according to them) or getting that 600dpi, I'm about out of ideas.

HELP? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/fixes. Always remember I'm a bit less knowledgeable than most. GM

Comments

• Hi Gary,

ReportBuilder does not control the printing resolution directly, this is the job of the printer driver.

DPI (Dots Per Inch) is a hardware dependent value. If you are using a printer with a maximum 300 DPI printing resolution (which it appears you are), it is impossible to print at 600 DPI with that printer.

Many printer drivers allow the adjustment of printing resolution to something below the maximum however it appears that your driver does not.

If your client needs printing resolution at 600 DPI or higher, they will first need to have a printer capable of this and second ensure the driver used is set to print at this higher resolution.

Best Regards,

Nico Cizik
    Digital Metaphors
    http://www.digital-metaphors.com
  • Nico,

Thanks for the confirmation. I've SORT OF told the boss that it's a new printer or a dissatisfied customer. But I thought I'd ask before telling him straight out. GM