Home General

Upgrade (from D2010 & RB 14 to D Alexandria & RB 22)

Hello, we have a massive legacy project that is currently compiling under Delphi 2010 and Report Builder 14 (Enterprise). We are working towards upgrading to Delphi Alexandria and Report Builder 22.x (also Enterprise). I'm curious if it would make sense to upgrade RB within the D2010 environment first and then upgrade to Alexandria. I see D7 and 2007 in the list of supported IDE versions for RB 22 but then it skips past 2010 to XE2 in the list...

I'm hesitant to upgrade the entire codebase in one go. Last time we upgraded RB versions we had to build a utility to recompile all of our saved reports. I'm curious if this would be necessary to jump from 14 to 22. We utilize the report explorer & designer as well as DADE, RAP, and a customized auto search form and report explorer form.

I was working towards modularizing the RB14 functionality in a DLL, but even displaying the report explorer modally, without running or designing a report, we receive access violations when closing the test app. We could also potentially modularize the explorer/designer functionality into a standalone exe with a DLL for printing from within our app. The idea is to modularize so that we can upgrade the rest of the codebase to Alexandria, and then upgrade RB to v22 & Alexandria afterwards to reduce complexity.

This upgrade is going to happen, I'm just trying to figure out the best path forward.

I appreciate the community and DM support for all they do and the insights they offer.

Comments

• edited April 2023
    Hi Branden,

My suggestion would be to give the upgrade a shot and see what happens :). While the jump from RB 14 to RB 22 is fairly large, we are constantly working to ensure backward compatibility.

Last time we upgraded RB versions we had to build a utility to recompile all of our saved reports

I'm guessing this was necessary due to a change in DB connectivity. Otherwise, all report templates should be backward compatible.

customized auto search form and report explorer form.

Any custom code may need to be updated to work with the latest version as we are constantly altering internal architecture of ReportBuilder. But we are here to help.
    Best Regards,

Nico Cizik
    Digital Metaphors
    http://www.digital-metaphors.com